We take great pride in the awards and recognitions we receive for our work as a company and for the contributions of individual employees. We were honored to be recognized for our dedicated efforts in several areas, including business and operational excellence in our industry, community support and environmental projects, environmental performance and safe and sustainable operations.
Business and Community Excellence Awards
- Covanta Onondaga and partner Onondaga County Resource Recovery Agency (OCRRA) received the award for Outstanding Recycling Community/Government Program from the National Recycling Coalition and the Gold Excellence award from the Solid Waste Association of North America.
- The Keep Oklahoma Beautiful (KOB) Board of Directors honored partners Covanta Tulsa and the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics (OBN) for the Rx4Safety program. Covanta Tulsa and OBN received the Towering Spirit award for upholding KOB’s mission in a unique way that produces far-reaching impact.
- The Department of the Interior’s Coral Reef Task Force gave Covanta HPOWER the Outstanding Community Level Partnership award “in recognition of Covanta’s excellent commitment to support and maintain projects that protect shorelines and coral reef ecosystems, as well as the sustainability of Hawaii’s environmental resources.”
- Covanta was honored by the Product Stewardship Institute with the 2015 Outstanding Industry Leadership Award for environmental achievements.
- Covanta Tulsa was honored as a runner-up in The Frank Condon Award competition for Environmental Excellence.
- Covanta Alexandria/Arlington received a Platinum-level Industrial Waste and Pretreatment Environmental Excellence award from the Virginia Water Environment Association.
- Covanta Hempstead was given the Solid Waste Association of North America (SWANA) Silver Excellence Award, Waste-to-Energy category.
- Covanta Delaware Valley was honored by GE, with the Return on Environment (ROE) award for its substantial reductions in water usage.
- Covanta Montgomery was recognized with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) Clean Air Excellence Award in the Clean Air Technology category.
Thirty-eight of Covanta’s U.S. sites participate in the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration’s (OSHA) Voluntary Protection Program (VPP). Through this program, employers and employees are officially recognized for outstanding efforts in the areas of workplace safety and health policies, procedures and practices.
Additionally, 39 Covanta facilities have been awarded the Occupational Excellence Achievement Award for the year 2014 by the National Safety Council (NSC).
- Covanta Kent was named a “Michigan Star Worksite” for the third time, Michigan’s most prestigious workplace safety and health award.
- Covanta Montgomery was chosen as an award honoree for zero incidents and most improved safety by the Chesapeake Region Safety Council.
- Covanta Tulsa received the STAR Award from the mayor of Tulsa, Oklahoma, for helping city employees become more aware about workplace safety and the dangers of distracted driving.
- Covanta Alexandria was honored with the National Safety Council’s Industry Leader Award for safety performance in their industry.