Community Outreach and Environmental Justice Policy
Covanta is committed to engage with and support the communities in which we have or will have facilities. Covanta believes in the meaningful opportunity for all people, regardless of race, ethnicity, color, income, national origin or education level to be knowledgeable and have the right to participate in public decisions and actions which have an impact on their environment and neighborhoods. To implement this policy consistent with our sustainability objectives, Covanta commits:
- To reduce discharges and minimize emissions from our facilities and to reduce other potential impacts of our operations, taking into account cumulative impacts.
- To identify and engage with individuals and organizations in the communities in which we operate, or in which we may operate, that are interested in our operations.
- To have open, two-way communication with communities on issues which may be of interest or concern to them, including environmental and quality of life issues in the community. Such communication shall include participation in meetings with community members or affected groups.
- To have an enhanced public participation strategy with communities on major facility permit actions and engage in substantive conversations with community members during the early stages of the permitting process.
- To work diligently to respond to issues identified by communities in which we operate.
- To promptly and effectively notify the community in the event of situations that may adversely impact the environment or their health.