It is in the best interests of our company and society as a whole that our company moves along the path to sustainability. To that end, we will strive to achieve the following vision of performance and will publicly communicate this commitment and periodically report our progress and challenges in fulfilling it:
1. Economic success: the wise use of financial resources
A. Company economic prosperity
- Conduct our business to prosper economically and create long-term value for our shareholders
- Invest in research and development to expand and/or improve our core competency
- We will:
B. Community economic prosperity
- Seek to employ local people, purchase goods and services locally, and pay taxes
- Provide cost competitive and reliable waste disposal and energy generation
- Participate in civic and philanthropic efforts
- We will help our community prosper economically in three ways:
2. Social responsibility: respect for people
A. Fair dealing with customers
- We will be honest and fair with our customers, compete ethically for their business, respect their privacy, anticipate their needs and provide them with safe and effective products and services while taking into account sustainability concerns.
B. Respect for employees
- We will treat our employees in a respectful, fair and non-exploitative way, especially with regard to compensation and benefits; promotion; training and development; open, constructive dialogue with management; involvement in decision-making; working conditions that are safe, healthy and non-coercive; privacy rights; labor law rights; employment-termination practices; and work-life balance. We will ensure that all employees have the necessary information, resources and training to make informed decisions on environmental and health and safety matters.
C. Diversity, fair hiring practices
- We will promote diversity and a culture of inclusion, and use hiring practices that are fair, responsible, non-discriminatory and non-exploitative for our employees and board members.
D. Responsible governance
- We will manage our risks appropriately, use our economic power responsibly, and operate our business in a way that is ethical and legal.
E. Respect for stakeholders
- We will be transparent, respectful and fair to local populations, investors, suppliers, and other stakeholders outside of our organization who may be affected by our operations. We will engage our key stakeholders to understand their needs and seek relationships with them based on integrity. We will work collaboratively towards a good neighbor relationship with our communities, governments, business partners, and supply chain to enhance the well-being of others.
3. Environmental responsibility: respect for life; and the wise management and use of natural resources
A. Resource conservation
- We will minimize our impact to the environment by conserving energy and natural resources to the extent practicable. We will promote sound materials and energy management by encouraging pollution prevention at the source, material reuse, recycling and recovery of materials and energy through energy-from-waste.
B. Waste prevention and management
- We will reduce to the extent practicable the solid waste and emissions of greenhouse gases and other harmful air pollutants from our operations and will maintain and implement programs to ensure compliance with all applicable environmental regulations.
C. Environmental risk control and restoration
- We will minimize the risk of spills and other potentially harmful environmental incidents, restore the environment in case of an event and enhance it to better support biodiversity.
D. Reduction of supply chain impacts
- We will work with others in our supply chain to help minimize adverse environmental impacts and risks and to optimize environmental benefits.
E. Collaboration with communities
- We will collaborate with our communities to protect and improve the environment.