Environmental Sustainability > Air Emissions
Achieving Rigorous Environmental Certification
Three Covanta facilities have achieved ISO 14001:2015 Environmental Management System (EMS) certification, including Durham York in Courtice, Ontario; Niagara Falls, New York; and Burnaby, British Columbia.
The ISO 14001:2015 certification process serves as a framework for businesses to reduce environmental impacts and respond to changing environmental conditions in balance with socioeconomic needs. This systematic approach to environmental management systems builds long-term success through the following:
- Preventing or mitigating negative impacts of operations on the environment.
- Mitigating adverse effects of environmental conditions on the organization.
- Assisting the organization with compliance obligations.
- Enhancing environmental performance.
- Influencing how the organization’s products and services are utilized by employing a life-cycle approach to preventing environmental impacts.
- Achieving financial and operational benefits by implementing environmentally sound alternatives.
- Communicating environmental information to interested parties.